Tuesday, January 27, 2009

look at this

I'm here again, I think I have my groove back (even if I still don't really have a working K on my keyboard), it just took a awhile to find it and decided where on earth I was taking my blog.

So this morning I rolled myself out of bed at 7:05 ready to go make cookies for P to take to work with him ( he feeds kids cookies every Tuesday) and I walk down the stairs in house where everyone is still sleeping, I love it here in those moments, and the cold hits me like a wall. WTF, it should not be this cold in here. I wander over to the thermostat and it is a whopping 9.5 degrees in my house - lucky us since it is -25 or so outside 9.5 is almost balmy, right. So I start trouble shooting in an attempt to make the heat go on, even though what I really want is a cup of coffee. I changed the batteries, reprogrammed the time after changing the batteries, fiddled with the settings and still no luck! Grrr I really need coffee and I must make cookies. So I paused - breathed and decided there was nothing to do at 7:10, except, perhaps make coffee.

So coffee was brewing, cookies were baking and I came back upstairs to rouse the boys and fill P in on the status of the very cold house. We decided the furnace was indeed broken and that someone would have to be called, so I got the boys going, got the dogs out and started looking for a furnace guy. I like to do business with people we know and so I called last family that the boys lived with because he is a furnace guy, but he doesn't do oil... he knows someone though, can't find his number, he'll call back. It is now almost 8, boys are making a nuisance of themselves because the broken furnace has meant a change in our morning routine, after a change in our evening last night because P had to work late, and thus behaviour is not quite up to the norm, there was much silliness and arguing going on because I left them alone in the kitchen for 4 minutes while I tried to find someone to fix the furnace.

Buddy calls me back with the other Buddies number and I call him, we are a little far for him but given that he doesn't have any other calls today he'll come now. Great except that today is Family Literacy Day and Fudge's teacher asked me to come in and read to his class, so I had to call and reschedule that so I could be home for the furnace guy. Meanwhile the boys are continuing to drive me insane because I dared to do something other then give them my undivided attention. Calvin needs his Zoobat mask from Halloween so he can be his favourite book character for school and it can't be found anywhere. Do children ever learn that telling mom you need something 5 minutes before you need it is not a good plan? And that it most likely will not be found in the time provided.

The boys finally got ready, without the mask, and in Calvin's case almost without a lunch as they are responsible for packing their bags in the morning. I shoved them out the door with P, only to hear later that in the 10 minutes in takes to get to school Fudge hit Calvin and pitched a bit of a fit about not getting to listen to the CD he wanted because it is in my car, not Dad's.

Then I sat down with that coffee I had made earlier and waited for the very nice furnace man. He came, he cleaned an electrode, he charged me 160 bucks and he left. He was a very nice man but it took him 10 minutes and it cost me 160 bucks, all he used was screwdriver and a rag.

Amazing. I think I made the wrong career choice

No comments: